- Explore the outer coast of Pohatu Marine Reserve by kayak and enjoy a scenic drive from Akaroa
- Experience spectacular towering cliffs, rock stacks, reefs, and deep-sea caves
- Photos stops along the way with commentary about the area
- Fully guided by qualified and experienced staff
- All kayaking gear (life jackets, dry jackets, spray deck, dry bags for cameras)
- Land tour in 4WD mini vans
What to Expect
Explore the outer coast of Pohatu Marine Reserve by kayak and experience its spectacular towering cliffs, rock stacks, reefs, and deep sea caves. Pohatu Marine Reserve is on Flea Bay and lies between Ounu-hau Point and Redcliffe Point in the Canterbury region of New Zealand. It's the best place to spot New Zealand’s most charismatic marine animals including both penguins and seal colonies! The bay is home to two types of penguins — the hoiho (yellow-eyed penguin) and korora (little blue penguin). You could also see fairy prions, spotted shags, terns, and gulls.
Flea Bay Island and the impressive island arch are exciting attractions in settled sea conditions. Flea Bay was the traditional home to Tutakakahikura and his people in pre-European times. The area was a rich source of food thanks to fish, seabirds, shellfish, and freshwater fish. Low tide is the best time to visit. You can spot mussels, limpets, chiton, sea tulips, whelks, crabs, barnacles, and brown, red, and green seaweed on the rocky shore platforms. Observe the diverse wildlife and marine species such as penguins, seals, various sea birds, and possibly the world’s smallest dolphin!
Best of all, no kayaking experience is necessary! Trips are only run in settled, safe conditions by experienced and knowledgeable guides. Your safety is top priority.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Sunglasses, hat or both.
- Change of clothes (Although we provide waterproof spray jackets, you may still get damp!
- Comfortable, weather-suitable clothing that you don’t mind getting wet.
During the breeding season there is a very high chance of seeing penguins coming ashore.
Allow 1.5 hours from Christchurch. The last 50 minutes into Akaroa is on a well-maintained, but hilly and windy road.
Akaroa is a very safe village with free overnight parking. You may leave your vehicle next to the tour's office or, if you prefer, at a private property that we may shuttle you to and from at no additional cost.
- The tour prefers that children are at least 8 years of age. All customers are placed in safe, double kayaks and each child will be paired with an adult. Please bear in mind that your guide has the final say as to whether or not it is safe for you and your child to kayak. This can vary depending on sea conditions, personal fitness and kayaking abilities. Toddlers and or infants are not allowed, no matter sea conditions or personal ability.
- Please bear in mind that the guides on the day will be sole judges if this activity is suitable for your children, depending on weather and sea conditions. If the guides deem this unsuitable a 50% refund will be offered or the option of joining our Full Scenic Nature Safari.
- Sea kayaking at Pohatu/Flea bay has risks and can be dangerous. The outer coast of Akaroa harbor is characterised by remoteness, rapidly changing and sometimes extreme weather and water conditions, cold water, and limited kayak landing sites.
- Detailed risk management and strict safety procedures are observed, however, there still remains an element of risk. Pohatu penguins/plunge NZ Ltd cannot absolutely guarantee participants’ safety. Pohatu penguins/plunge NZ Ltd accepts its legal responsibilities but cannot be held responsible for personal injury or for loss, theft or damage of/to your equipment outside legal responsibilities.
No refunds within 24 hours of departure. Exceptions are made if the operator cancels the activity due to waterway, road or weather conditions (a full refund would be then given). If a kayaking trip has to be cancelled before leaving Akaroa due to strong winds or warnings, several options would be offered:
- Option 1: No further tours. Full Refund.
- Option 2: Join a 4-hour Full Scenic Nature Tour (same pricing and departure time as afternoon kayaking).
- Option 3: Join a 2-hour Nature Tour ($65/adult, $35/child – refunded difference, depart at 1:30pm).
When living in an island nation like New Zealand, the weather us hard to predict and can quickly change; sunny one minute then pouring with rain the next and this even in the middle of summer. Offering outdoor activities means you may sometimes get rained on. The tour will not cancel this tour due to rainy days; it is just part of experiencing this wild country. In saying that, the best wildlife viewings are usually when it's raining. Just remember to always bring a raincoat to New Zealand, just in case. We all hope for a beautiful sunny day but rain or shine our guides will give you an authentic New Zealand experience. In consideration of the above, no refund can be expected in the event of rain. A 10% service charge applies to all other cancellation refunds.
Reviews for 4WD & Scenic Kayaking Tour Pohatu Marine Reserve
Get Instant Confirmation