- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Overnight package to discover Akaroa's incredible scenery, unique wildlife & more
- 1-night stay in a private sleeping unit in the middle of a working sheep farm & penguin colony
- Evening tour of the colony for the opportunity to see Australasian Little Penguins in the wild (if in season)
- Heavily discounted sea kayaking safari around Pohatu Bay (save up to $55 per person!)
- Enjoy a scenic drive discovering the spectacular clifftops of Akaroa Head Scenic Reserve
- Explore the Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve & part of the renowned Banks Track on an optional hike
- Linen provided, along with communal bathrooms & kitchen with full cooking facilities
- Fully qualified guides providing commentary on the area & its wildlife inhabitants
- Departs from the meeting point at 2/8 Rue Balguerie, Akaroa
- BYO food
- Option to upgrade to a 48-hour package & stay an extra night on the farm
What to Expect
Escape into nature and spend 24 hours in stunning isolated Pohatu Bay. Enjoy this unforgettable package with an overnight stay in historic and cosy private units in the middle of a penguin colony and a working sheep farm with many rare breeds of sheep. Learn about the area’s rich history, native flora and fauna and Pohatu’s unique penguin conservation program.
Situated on the tip of Akaroa's majestic Banks Peninsula, the family-run farm is home to the largest Australasian Little Penguin colony on mainland New Zealand. Enjoy the chance to see these amazing birds up-close and in their natural habitat on a guided evening tour of the colony (when in season).
Take a breathtaking scenic drive through the peninsula, enjoying stunning photo opportunities over Akaroa Harbour, the outer coast, and surrounding farmlands and forested hillsides. Stop to visit the spectacular cliff-tops of Akaroa Head Scenic Reserve and revel in the opportunity to walk the beautiful bush and waterfall section of the renowned Banks Track. The package also includes the option to take part in a guided sea kayaking safari to spot local wildlife at a heavily discounted rate.
At night, gaze up and see the spectacular milky way and wake up to the sound of birdsong, sheep and the ocean. Make use of the safe swimming beach just outside your door or explore the surrounding landscape. With private sleeping units, we can welcome couples on a romantic escape or groups of friends or family looking for an adventure break. Although the units or rooms are private, some sharing of facilities such as the fully equipped kitchen, living room and bathroom is required.
Where We Visit
- Pohatu Bay
- Akaroa Head Scenic Reserve
- Banks Track & Tutakakahikura Scenic Reserve
Frequently Asked Questions
- Food for 24-48 hours depending on package selection
- Warm clothing for the evening
- If kayaking, clothes you don’t mind getting wet. Water shoes are not necessary
- Hiking boots/shoes or athletic shoes for the bush walk
When living in an island nation like New Zealand, the weather is hard to predict and can quickly change; sunny one minute then pouring with rain the next and this even in the middle of summer. Offering outdoor activities, we may sometimes get rained on. We do not cancel our tours due to rainy days; it is just part of experiencing this wild country.
In saying that, all of our best wildlife viewing is usually when it's raining, especially on our Evening penguin tours.
Just remember to always bring a raincoat to New Zealand, just in case. We all hope for a beautiful sunny day but rain or shine our guides will give you an authentic New Zealand experience. In consideration of the above, no refund can be expected in the event of rain. A 10% service charge applies to all other cancellation refunds.
The best time for penguin viewing is the breeding season between end of August to December. You can see moulting adults in January and February, but starting the end of February through early April we do NOT have penguins. There are also some windows of excellent viewing opportunities from mid-April to September when the birds return periodically from the sea.
- Minimum age for optional sea kayaking is 5 years
- Free off-street overnight parking is available in a safe & secluded area
- Cancellations within 24 hours of departure - 100% fees apply. Exceptions are made if the operator cancels the activity due to waterway, road or weather conditions
Reviews for 24 Hour Pohatu Package - Farmstay
Get Instant Confirmation