- Get up to $15 cash back per person when you book with us
- Full-day guided exploration of the beautiful Atherton Tablelands region & its many natural attractions
- Enjoy short rainforest walks through Lake Barrine's twin kauri pines, Curtain Fig Tree National Park & take a refreshing dip at Millaa Millaa Falls
- Devonshire Morning Tea of fresh scones with tea & coffee at Lake Barrine Teahouse
- Priority entry into the stunning Paronella Park, including a 45-minute guided tour & free time to explore
- All National Park entry fees
- Convenient return transfers from selected Cairns accommodation
What to Expect
Delve into the natural beauty and history of Tropical North Queensland on this full-day discovery tour, covering over 300km packed with pristine waterfalls, ancient tropical rainforests and the intriguing history of heritage-listed Paronella Park. Amongst a small group in an air-conditioned bus, our expert guides reveal the secrets of the rolling landscapes and charming townships of the Atherton Tablelands, taking time to pause for unforgettable scenic views, wildlife and rainforest encounters and of course, a dip in the cool rainforest waters of Millaa Millaa Falls and Babinda Boulders.
Get collected from your accommodation in Cairns to head south towards your first photo opportunity at the towering Walsh’s Pyramid, one of the largest naturally formed pyramids in the world. Passing through Goldsborough Valley and into the cool tropical rainforest of the Atherton Tablelands, we take a brief stop at Heales Lookout to admire the spectacular vista over the valley and out to the Coral Sea.
Continue to Lake Barrine, in Crater Lakes National Park, where a short guided walk with our expert guide reveals the area’s ancient natural history at the 1000-year-old twin kauri pines, the true giants of the rainforest. Here you will enjoy a Devonshire Tea of freshly-baked scones with jam and cream, washed down with locally-grown, fresh brewed tea and coffee at the Lake Barrine Teahouse and the opportunity to discover the local wildlife on the leisurely rainforest tracks.
Pass through the quaint historical town of Yungaburra, with its many heritage-listed buildings, en route to Curtain Fig Tree. This unique fig tree towers more than 45 metres into the rare Mabi forest of its namesake, Curtain Fig Tree National Park. Leading a fascinating boardwalk tour, your guide shares the unlikely story behind the formation of this 600-800-year-old epiphyte, while also looking out for unique wildlife in the rainforest canopy.
Next is a driving tour through the historical dairy town of Malanda as we make our way to Millaa Millaa Falls, one of Australia’s most-photographed waterfalls. Jump into the cool rainforest waters as they tumble over 20 metres from volcanic lava flow formed over 1 million years ago, or just sit and enjoy the sights and sounds of the rainforest.
Enjoy a stop at Innisfail before the next highlight of your day, the National Trust-listed gardens at Paronella Park. A 45-minute guided tour tells the story of the park’s memorable architecture, set amongst sprawling tropical gardens and inspired by founder José Paronella’s dream of a Spanish castle. Photo opportunities abound here, from Kauri Avenue to Teresa Falls, the Grand Staircase and the suspension bridge over Mena Creek Falls. With two and a half hours here, you’ll have ample time to explore the grounds, appreciate its history and capture some memorable moments.
Stop at a local farm to buy some home-grown fruit as we continue onwards past Babinda, where, time permitting, we stop for another dip at Babinda Boulders. Follow the northern portions of the Great Dividing Range back to Cairns, reflecting on an amazing day of rainforest, history and waterfalls.
Where We Visit
- Heales Lookout
- Lake Barrine - Crater Lakes National Park
- Curtain Fig Tree National Park
- Millaa Millaa Falls
- Paronella Park
- Babinda Boulders
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hat, sunglasses & sunscreen
- Comfortable covered walking shoes
- Swimwear, towel & a change of clothes
- Bottled water
- Light jacket in cooler months (June – Oct), when the Tablelands can be quite cool early in the morning, but still hot enough for swimming later in the day
- Umbrella (if rain is forecast)
- Camera with spare batteries & enough room on the memory card
- Cash/credit card as we visit 2 very well-equipped gift shops with mostly locally-made products
- A sense of adventure & thirst for great views
No, although return transfers from Northern Beaches' hotels are available for an additional fee of $30 per person, payable direct to the driver.
Alternatively, you can make your way to our pick-up points at Skyrail Rainforest Cableway’s Caravonica Terminal car park or Cairns Central Railway Station’s Bunda St entrance.
Yes, we stop at the amazing Millaa Millaa Falls for a refreshing dip in its pristine rainforest waters and Babinda Boulders on the way home (time permitting).
Rarely! We run seven days a week in any type of weather. Flooding or road closure is our only stoppage.
- Please reconfirm your tour 24 hours prior to departure
- Cancellations within 24hrs prior to departure & no shows - 100% cancellation fees
- Date changes are permitted (subject to availability)
- In the unlikely event that we are not able to operate a tour, due to weather conditions or unplanned operational events, an alternate travel date will be offered or a full refund processed
Reviews for Northern Experience Eco Tour - Atherton Tablelands & Paronella Park ex Cairns
Get Instant Confirmation